October 15th - Remembering Ty

Tomorrow marks a very important day for me. One that I was dreading and also looking forward to. When we lost our son Ty in March I found out that October 15th is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. I was dreading this day because I was thinking how can I ever really celebrate our wedding anniversary (October 14th) knowing the next day (October 15th) I would be remembering the loss of Ty. That day is tomorrow. I type this up as I celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary. I am actually looking forward to tomorrow and it doesn't take away today's celebration. I look forward to lighting a candle for our precious Ty. I'm sending out this email to friends and family tonight because I have had a really tough time with the loss of our son. I do okay with everything for the most part but the one thing that I do not like is that I don't want anyone to forget about him or think that he wasn't real. He was and always will be a special part of Greg's and my lives. Please light a candle at 7:00 tomorrow and let it burn for 1 hour. Remember our son Ty Gavin Fischer who was called to be in heaven with Jesus instead of on earth with his loving parents. Also remember anyone else in your lives who has lost a pregnancy,a baby, or an infant. I know I will also be thinking of my dear sister-in-law Jennifer and the pregnancy she lost in the first trimester, I will think of my friend Jeanine who lost a couple of pregnancies in the first trimester, I will be thinking of my husband's cousin Debbie who lost her second child Kolten James (who is Ty's angel buddy I'm sure) in the second trimester, my friend Missy who lost a few pregnancies in the first trimester and also many of the wonderful women whose blogs helped and continue to help me with my grief over losing Ty. I have one favor to ask of you though. As you light your candle and think of Ty and the other babies please take a picture of that candle for me. Please send me your pictures because I would love to have some pictures of candles lit for Ty to put in his scrapbook. I would be floored if you all could do this for me and I know Ty will be smiling down from heaven knowing how much he's loved by all of you.


October 15th was created to provide support, education and awareness for those who are suffering or may know someone who has suffered a miscarriage, an ectopic pregnancy, a still birth, or the loss of an infant. We hope that we can help you by giving you and all of the other parents, grandparents, siblings, relatives, and friends a special day of remembrance. This special day of Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance is October 15th of every year. Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day is to promote Support, Education and Awareness for grieving parents nationwide (and worldwide). Too many families grieve in silence, sometimes never coming to terms with their loss. Our goal is to help others relate to our loss, know what to say, do or not say, not do and to help families live with their loss, not "get over" their loss.

"When a child loses his parent, they are called an orphan. When a spouse loses her or his partner, they are called a widow or widower. When parents lose their child, there isn't a word to describe them."

Robyn Bear, founder of http://www.october15th.com/, and founder of October 15th, Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day envisioned a day when all grieving parents could come together and be surrounded by love and support from their friends and families, a day where the community could better understand their pain and learn how to reach out to those grieving. This would be a day to reflect on the loss yet embrace the love. While our babies’ lives where so brief, they were also very meaningful. Yet, there was not a time to talk about them. Our society seemed to forget or perhaps, simply didn't know how to reach out. Since October had been proclaimed "Awareness Month", she chose a day, in the middle of the month to become, "Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day".


No comments: